Welcome back in 2015

Back to the blog!
I've switched school libraries and took a year away from the reviews to focus on the new job and all the new plans we rolled out after May 2013 at the new place. They've been extensive and overall quite successful! At some point I'll write about a number of the changes we've made; many of them I presented at Internet Librarian in Monterey in October 2014. We're in the midst of a fairly ambitious re-positioning of our LMC as we look to meet current demands and prepare for the future, and I hope to share photos and descriptions of our projects as time allows this year.
For 2015 my goal is to read and review 115 or more books. Some years I've topped 150, but with active kids and other commitments, two and a half books a week is realistic -- if not challenging. Anything beyond 115 in 2015 will be bonus. Plus, adding the commitment of blogging about each will reinforce the commitment. Most of this year's reviews will be chronological; as I read them, I'll review them. Some are advance copies of books not yet published, and due to publisher embargo I'll hold the review until just before publication. So it goes.
Something else I'll try to highlight is our library programming. I'm now a librarian at Lee's Summit North High School (I was at Lee's Summit, the original). New to our school this year is something we call Bronco Time, which happens three days a week in the late morning for between 20 and 30 minutes. Some students have mandatory tutoring during that time to help them pull their grades up. But a large portion of our student population has a choice of what to do during that time. For us in the LMC, that's an opportunity to provide programming that we might not otherwise get to do. For instance, we've held cooking demonstrations to highlight our cookbook collection, talked through our ACT and test prep books and resources, done book talks on specific subjects, and helped students log in to our eBook and eMagazine services. Just yesterday we had a presentation about writing college essays and finding the right college; today I'm presenting about how to turn any pair of gloves into touch-screen gloves using conductive thread. With enough time, I'll put details of as many of these as possible.
Ambitious plans to announce on a Wednesday in January.

Comments

Popular Posts