YA Review: Amazing Grace by Megan Shull

Grace Kincaid is everywhere.  She's a high school tennis phenom-- the Tiger Woods of tennis, with endorsement deals, her face on the cover of sports and fashion magazines, clothing and cosmetic lines, a trainload of championship trophies, and she's absolutely sick of it all.  With the help of her mom and her aghast agent, Grace gives it all up and disappears to a tiny Alaskan village where she tries to have the life of a 'normal' high school kid.  I found the book absolutely charming and entirely likeable, perhaps because I completely relate to the want to get away to a place where nobody knows your name or face (even though I'm absolutely no one of consequence).  This was a Missouri 2007/08 Gateway Reader nominee, and it was my favorite of the 15 nominated books.  I recommend this book frequently to students, although reviews from students have been mixed (but mostly positive). 
I also will note that we received a package from the author, Megan Shull, with a wonderful note and two autographed copies of the book.  For several years my library hosted a statewide book blog, and Shull sent a note of thanks for the support.  I already liked the book-- and now I'm very impressed with the author, as well!

Comments

Popular Posts