Non-fiction review: Thomas Frank's Pity the Billionaire

Pity the Billionaire: a better title would be Pity the Listener.  I'm not a conservative. I'm not a liberal. And I'm definitely not a fan of the whiney, mocking delivery of conservatives like Limbaugh and Beck-- or through most of this book, of Thomas Frank, who stands politically opposite and criticizes, but also stylistically echoes, both conservative babblers.  I wish I would've researched the author a little more before jumping into this five disc book, which I almost abandoned countless times. The contents of the book I don't necessarily disagree with, and had I read this in print I probably would've had a somewhat higher opinion.  The best parts of this work are at the end with Frank's critiques of the Democrat's handling of the health care negotiations and Wall Street bailouts, where he offers reasoned insight. However, the whining, mocking, "can you believe these idiots?" delivery really churned my stomach throughout. This is a book definitely pointed to a specific audience with little hope of convincing anyone on the right to a more moderate, centrist view. A pity, indeed, for a country that could use more reconciliation than mockery.  Not recommended.

Comments

Popular Posts